Yuma and La Paz Counties
|Availability:||In stock (1)|
|Delivery time:||4-6 days|
Yuma County was created in 1864, following the organization of the Arizona Territory in 1862, and was one of the four original counties along with Yavapai, Mohave, and Pima. With the arrival of E.F. Sanguinetti and John Gandolfo in the late 19th century, a business empire was born and a community developed. Due to the creation of stores, farms, and the mining industry, the area's population grew from 4,415 in 1900 to 224,427 in 2015. Now a ghost town, the original county seat was formed in La Paz. By 1871, it was relocated 100 miles south to Arizona City, which was renamed Yuma in 1873. In 1982, Yuma County was divided in half, creating Yuma and La Paz Counties.
Rick Sprain is a retired 30-year law enforcement officer and former historian for the Santa Clara County Sheriff’s Office. After his retirement, he moved to Arizona, where he continues his passion for history and collecting historic postcards. Yuma and La Paz Counties is Sprain’s third book with Arcadia Publishing. His previously published works are Yavapai County and Santa Clara County, both in the Postcard History series.